Pictures

Monday 25 August 2014

Palau Ubin

Yesterday I visited the small island of Palau Ubin. With a population of around 100 inhabitants, the island is on the north coast of Singapore. To get there, I took a small Bumboat that took about 10 minutes to cross the Johor Strait between Singapore and Malaysia. The ride costs $2.50 each way and you pay the "captain" once you're on. The island welcomes you with many bike rental shacks and local food stands. After renting my eight dollar bike I ventured around the island with a hand drawn map. Many palm trees and mangroves surround the island as well as some camouflaged wildlife. As I was enjoying my ride down a green path I noticed what I thought was a vibrant green branch. To my surprise it was a snake, which I believe I scared off either by running over the end of it or with my high pitch scream. Many crabs, spiders, blowfish and other marine life, live happily on this island as well as wild pigs. Many beaches surround the island but they are not swimmable. As mentioned in a previous post, Singapore has one of the biggest ports and thus the ships waiting to unload their cargo, unload their waist in the sea. Fortunately mangroves also surround the island which are known to absorb pollutants even heavy metals. Here are some pics of the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment